Monday, October 10, 2011

Baby presents

One of my best friends, Petri (don't worry, that's not what her parents named her), is having her first baby this December. (Assuming the sweet little thing comes on time.) I've been working on presents for her for a while, so far I've made two teddy bears with an awesome pattern from Lion Brand (free membership required to view that one) and a blanket out of some cupcake yarn (also Lion Brand) that I conveniently edged in the left over teddy bear yarn. I made two bears, the second one I used a hook one size bigger but followed the same pattern. I think it turned out better, and was easier to work with. I can say, though, that I don't often check my gauge so that may have had something to do with the first one. Those all were all made out of a bag of yarn my lovely Aunt Sunnye found at Goodwill and gave me.



Recently, my mom gave me a bag of Lion Brand Jiffy yarn, because she loves me and decided she didn't like working with it. I've made some hats for the kids out of it, but decided that the El Paso color was perfect for little Kylie Jean presents. So, I've made her a hat, some fingerless gloves (something every baby needs) and some legwarmers. Everything was made in a hdc stitch with a J hook. The hat I started in a circle with 8 hdc, and increased for 4 more rows, and then just hdc in each hdc for 8 more rows and ended off. The fingerless gloves were made using Stuffing Fairy's fingerless child/toddler gloves pattern as a guide. I think I started with a ch of 15, for 13 sts total each row, and made 10 rows total before I went around the outside and joined the edges. The legwarmers I just kinda made up as I went. I can't imagine that the hat will fit her when the rest does, unless she has a tiny head. Here's the pattern for the legwarmers, as it turned out:

Kylie Jean's Babyleg Warmers

Skill Level: Easy

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
st - stitch

Size: unsure, I imagine they will fit her around 12 months

Materials: J hook; Bulky Yarn (I used one 2.5 oz skein for the hat, gloves and one legwarmer, so I imagine probably 1.5 oz of yarn would be plenty.); yarn needle for weaving in ends.

Instructions:
ch 20
Row 1: hdc in 3rd st from hook, and in each st to end. Ch 2, turn. (17 sts)
Row 2-11: hdc in back loop only in each st to end. Ch 2, turn.
Row 12: hdc in back loop only in each st to end. Ch 1, turn.
Joining row: Fold in half  so the beginning ch meets the row you are currently working on. *Sl st through back loop only of stitch and corresponding beginning ch. Repeat * to end. Ch 2, turn to start working on bottom edging.
Edging: *Hdc, dc in same space. Repeat * evenly spaced around bottom of legwarmer.

Make two. (obviously)

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense, or you notice any errors. Happy babyleg warming!

3 comments:

  1. From one Wendy Lou to another, thank you for this precious pattern...I have four boys of my own, but several friends with baby girls...can't wait to make this set...and we need to start a website for Wendy Lou's...wonder how many of us are out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these, I am trying to make some now for my soon to be arriving granddaughter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider transforming a pair of athletic socks you no longer need or wear in to trendy leg warmers. This 1980s trend is resurfacing in the early 2000s with a vengeance and while there are leg warmers for purchase, it can be more economical to create your own.

    ReplyDelete