Saturday, October 1, 2011

Where to start this year...?

A hat and scarf for Jasper I made last year
So many projects, so little time. I've started semi-extreme couponing, which takes up a lot of time. I realized yesterday that I'm about two months behind in making Christmas presents for the family, and I have until next July to get good at dressmaking to make my own wedding dress. Am I insane? Just a little bit. But, I have faith in my crafty abilities. I'll just have to see what I have on-hand and where i can go from there.

The easiest way I've found to start is with hats for everyone...starting with this basic circle crochet pattern (I usually change it to hdc instead of sc because it goes faster) until it's big enough around to fit whichever head I choose, and then just stop increasing and make it the right length to cover ears but not eyes. Sometimes I add earflaps, or appliques, or patches...they always turn out looking much nicer than I expect them to, and my kids always love them! And if I have enough yarn left over, a matching scarf comes into play.

Oh, quick and easy Christmas presents, how I love you...

In the meantime, I have to find some fabric and dress patterns, and dig out my sewing machine...I'm excited and scared at the same time! I've already tried on some dresses, and have a general idea in mind of what I want. Now I just have to practice with some patterns, and experiment with alterations! I've found two useful sites on making your own wedding dress, one from A Practical Wedding and one from The Curious Kiwi. Both seem to be extremely useful, and have helped me make my master plan on what I'm going to do.

And now, it is time to go dig through my yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment